The official launch of the European Startup Network took place in Brussels, 6-7 September 2016. We invited potential members to join us in the conceptualisation of our political agenda. It is our intent to ensure that the voices of startup entrepreneurs across Europe are heard and needs are addressed.
Including discussions and constructive proposals on the following topics to achieve internationalisation of the national ecosystems, creating a European startup ecosystem that is ready to compete with leading international ecosystems, such as Silicon Valley or Tel Aviv. (non-exhaustive list):
- harmonisation of European markets
- promoting entrepreneurship initiatives – growing the number of founders
- future growth capital for more European success
- acceptance of foreign professionals and startup entrepreneurs
- a change in mindset: embracing failure and a culture of second chances
- growing the business angel community
- setting up a win-win exchange between traditional and new economy
- regulate without strangling startups in red tape
- creating laws and regulations, with startups in mind
- startup-friendly government procurement for more competition and innovation
- harmonisation of startup funding environment (from the early stage to the exit)
We intend to combine proposals and concerns raised on the national level to build a common agenda for the improvement of the entrepreneurial climate across Europe. The agenda will be supported by research that is done in cooperation with national partners and the annual European Startup Monitor report.
As members of the European Startup Network, we kindly invite any national startup organisations fulfilling the following criteria:
- membership of a representative number of startups
- representation backed by startups / entrepreneurs
- involvement in a regional/national startup manifesto with respective traction (that was created by the national startups/entrepreneurs)
- transparency of sources and spending of income
- having more than one financial supporter
- democratic structures (e.g. being membership based)
- The board decides democratically based on the criteria set above
- Membership might be in a pending state if the applicants have shown commitment on fulfilling the set criteria via application
- ESN will invite successful applicants for an in-person/online meeting and those showing full commitment will be accepted as full or supporting members.